Part P and the Building Regulations

Communities and Local Government (CLG) is the government department responsible for administering the Building Regulations together with the operation of what are known as competent persons schemes.  They have produced a general leaflet to provide guidance as to when work needs to be notified to local authorities, the CLG Guide to Building Work.

Part P of the Building Regulations came into force in January 2005 to ensure that all electrical work carried out within a dwelling – a home, garage or garden – is carried out safely by a qualified electrician and that building control is notified of this work.  This notification is particularly important when moving house because the compliance certificate is required by the buyers solicitors to show that any electrical work carried out at the house on behalf of the vendor or seller is safe.  In other words, failure to comply could have an effect on the future sale of the home and the onus is on the home owner to ensure the work has been notified.

To help homeowners meet their obligations under the Building Regulations, ELECSA registered contractors such as Abode Electrical are assessed annually by an independent body to ensure that they are operating to the highest technical and professional standards.  Because of this they can self-certify their work as being compliant with the Building Regulations.  Abode Electrical notifies ELECSA of the work that has been carried out and ELECSA will then issue the building compliance documentation to the homeowner and the Local Authority as required by Part P.  This means that you do not have to pay the Local Authority for an inspection of the work.  Once you have this documentation keep it safe as you will certainly need it should you decide to sell the property.